Targeting the civilian population is a crime against humanity, residents in the western province of Herat said on Thursday, hours after three civilians were killed and four were more wounded by a mine blast that targeted their vehicle in Herat city.
Family members of the victims on Thursday called on the Afghan government to ensure the arrest of the perpetrators who planned the “cowardly” act against the civilians. Residents also said that the Afghan government has failed to provide security to the public in the country.
Azizullah is a resident in Herat whose son serves in the ranks of the Afghan National Army (ANA).
Last night, he was waiting for his son to end to arrive home to celebrate Eid, but his son was seriously wounded in the IED blast.
Azizullah’s son, who lost one of his legs in the blast, was serving in Ghor province.
“We found our son today, he has lost his leg, now he only breaths. We hope that he remains alive and can return to his two young children,” said Azizullah.
Herat is one of the relatively peaceful provinces of Afghanistan. But in recent weeks there have been some security incidents in the province that have increased fear among residents.
“Last night five wounded people, among them two women, were transferred to the hospital along with the three dead bodies, who were the men,” said Arif Jailani, the head of Herat’s provincial hospital.
“The explosion was caused as a result of an IED which was planted in the car,” said Abdul Wahid Walizada, a spokesman for the Herat police.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.